If you’ve been feeling a little less than “festive” this year, it’s not too late to enjoy the holiday celebration and carry some peace and gratitude into the New Year.
Holiday traditions and how we choose to acknowledge them varies greatly from person to person. For many of us though, high expectations and chaotic schedules prevent us from really connecting with true spirit of the season. Here are a few ways to dismiss the “bah humbugs” and infuse some joy into your holiday celebration.
- Choose to believe that it will be wonderful. If you think positively, you are more likely to enjoy the occasion and experience a deeper personal connection with the holiday celebration.
- Accept and appreciate others in your life. Spending time with family can stir up mixed-emotions and anxiety. Accept that they mean well and are doing the best they can given their current level of awareness, knowledge and understanding. Appreciate that you are surrounded by loved ones that care.
- Christmas Eve is a great time to gather the family for a drive to “oooh” and “ahhh” over the beautiful lights and decorations throughout your city. Be sure to turn on your favorite holiday tunes and bring some hot cocoa for the ride!
- Carve out some time for meditation and reflection. This is a time to connect with yourself spiritually and there’s no better way to do it than through some mindful meditation.
- Acknowledge that a simple phone call to an old friend or family member could brighten their day. Pick up the phone or send a heart-felt letter to someone you miss or appreciate.
- Curl up with some hot chocolate and watch a Christmas classic such as Charlie Brown Christmas, A Christmas Story or Miracle on 34th It’s a surefire way to get you into the spirit.
- Pick up a journal and start writing down all of the things you are grateful for this year.
- Choose a fundraiser or charity that resonates with you and contribute a donation or volunteer your time to the cause.
- Spend quality time with friends, family or a significant other. Share your favorite holiday memories and stories.
- Begin a new holiday tradition that you can get excited about for years to come.
There are many ways we can tap into the spirit of the holiday season- the most important being to recognize the gift of life we’ve been given and all the abundance and love that surrounds us.
Happy Holidays from Nambu Botanicals!